Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Summer Fun with the Kids: How to Make Giant Homemade Bubbles

Summer Fun with the Kids: How to Make Giant Homemade Bubbles...
I feel quite confident that I can say with certainty that all kids love bubbles. In fact, I still love playing with bubbles! It was always such a treat when my parents would bring home a little tub for us to play with, but for the most part, we just made our own concoction of water and liquid soap, and then simply bent a piece of wire to use as the wand. Bubbles remind me of summertime, so if you want to do something fun with your kids outside, here's a cool way to make some gigantic bubbles with the same homemade concept.

Video Instructions:

Video by WhatsUpMoms Youtube channel.

You will need:

  • 8oz (1 US cup, or 236ml) liquid dish soap
  • 1 tablespoon guar gum
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 16 cups water
  • Cotton string or rope (85in, but you can go even bigger if you want to!)
  • 2 sticks
  • Metal washer
  • Large container

I may not have kids of my own, but I'll definitely be doing this for myself so that I can release my inner child! If you're looking for some more summer ideas, perhaps make a fun water blob for the kids or build a swing bench from where you can watch them play.

Directions:

Mix the soap, gum and baking powder in your container and stir well, then add in the water and give it a good whisk. Like me, you may be used to just liquid soap and water, but in this case, the guar gum gives the bubbles extra elasticity, and the baking powder makes it so that the bubbles last longer and don't pop quite as quickly. This solution will last a few weeks as long as you keep it covered.

For the wand, tie the string to the top of one stick, slip through the washer, and then loop and tie the other end to the top of the other stick. When you lay this out, the string should form a triangle with the washer pulling a point down. If everything looks good, then just close it up by connecting the two ends of the string.

When it comes to actually making the bubbles, hold your two handles together and carefully dip the string into the soapy solution – make sure it doesn't get tangled. Then when you lift it out, slowly pull the handles apart and you'll see your big bubble starting to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment